Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gilded Cage

I'm not one for a gilded cage
Bejeweled bars are still restraints
And I'm not one to be kept
Going around in circles
In the shadow of you

I'm not a breed of bird you are used to
Clutch me within your fist, I'll suffocate
Release me and I'll fly beyond your grasp
I'm not meant to be kept, you see

I'm not the one who has forever dreamed of you
In my fondest imaginings, I have never seen you

Maybe you have never seen me either
I'm not the demure girl you wish for
Who sits quietly waiting for you to come home
Who leaves you alone to rage and rumble.

No, that's not me.

I have opinions, beliefs, hopes, and dreams
I speak my mind. I sing my own song
I paint my own feathers

I'm not one to be need or be needed
I can't bear to be let down
I hate even worse to be smothered

I'm not one for a gilded cage
I'm not one to be kept

I'm the one you soar next to in the open skies
I'm the one you adore with a burning passion
Without demands, rules, or chains
But you hold me with love, instead

Encased, entwined, within your heart
And I'm no longer confined, but kept safe.

1 comment:

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, I remember we talked about this. LOVE the repeated stanza. Beautifully written as always. <3